Webinar: Nature, Health & Protected Areas 2017
Natural Benefits: Nature, Health & Protected Areas
28th March 2017
In this EUROPARC webinar, we explored the potential benefits of physical activity to health and how Protected Areas are having an active role in promoting the use of green spaces.
The webinar kicked-off with an interesting overview of Natural Benefits through the link between ecosystem services and the constituents of health and well-being, presented by Peter Rawcliff – Manager of People and Places Unit at the Scottish Natural Heritage and leader of the EUROPARC Health and Protected Areas Commission.
Participants had then the chance to learn from 2 practical examples from EUROPARC Network. On the first case study, we traveled to France to learn how the Espaces Naturels Régionaux is promoting a “Sport-Health-Nature” approach at regional level, through the engagement of Protected Areas and several community-involvement activities.
On the second case study we were inspired by the innovative work being developed in Scotland at a national level and how the Scottish Natural Heritage is really putting health and well-being in the agenda, through the creation of the programme “Scotland’s outdoors – Our natural health service”.
During the webinar, participants have shared other interesting resources and best practices, which are also available below.
Natural benefits: Nature, Health and Protected Areas – an overview by Pete Rawcliff, Scottish Natural Heritage
Case Study 1 – Outdoor Sports, Nature and Well-being by Mélissa Desbois, Espaces Naturels Régionaux
Case Study 2 – Scotland’s Outdoors – Our natural health service by Bridget Finton, Scottish Natural Heritage
- The Health and Social Benefits of Biodiversity and Nature Protection by the Institute for Europe and Environmental Policy
- Nature for Health and Equity by the Institute for Europe and Environmental Policy and the Friends of the Earth Europe
- Access Nature reduces depression and obesity, news article by the Guardian
- Public Health is a priority for National Parks, by the Public Health England
- Promoting outdoor recreation in the English National Parks, by the Countryside Agency
- Shinrin-yoku Forest Therapy, Association of Forest and Nature Therapy
- The outdoor recreation group, from the Sheffield & Peak District
- Community Science programme from the Moors for the Future group
- Health and Well-being Solutions on IUCN Panorama Solutions
- Case Studies on Health in Protected Areas by the EUROPARC Federation
- Monitoring green spaces/Parks/protected areas by Eco Counter
Coming Events for you:
- Biodiversity and Health in the Face of Climate Change, European Conference on the 27-29 June in Bonn, Germany
- Workshop on Health and Protected Areas at EUROPARC Annual Conference 2017 in Portugal (more information soon available)
Watch the full webinar and read the article