Ecotourism in Casacalenda (Campobasso)
Oasi LIPU Casacalenda
Region & country
Regione Molise - ITALIA
Since 1994, the village of Casacalenda (2100 inhabitants) has experienced a strong increase of tourism, even if it is mainly concentrated in the nature reserve located 7 km away from the village. In the meantime, two farm guesthouses were stablished and two B&B, welcoming now hundreds of tourists every year. Actually, nearly 500 people each year (among the reserve visitors) use local tourist facilities and buy products from Casacalenda farms and shops.
Photo by Carlo Meo
Nature and families
Photo by Carlo Meo
Background of the project
Before 1993 (the year of creation of the Oasis LIPU of Casacalenda) there was no activity related with tourism, nor a significant production and diffusion of local products
Therefore, it was needed to communicate to the general public and users of the LIPU OASIS about the beauty of the landscape, the rich biodiversity and the goodness of typical local products
Solution and actions taken
- Distribute illustrative material on local farmhouses at the Nature Reserve;
- Provide information face to face or by telephone;
- Assist tourists interested in staying overnight on the area and in buying local products;
- Participate in fairs and exhibitions to enlarge the knowledge of typical products and village points of attraction;
- Release interviews for the TV news and periodical press releases.
- We established a tourist information point inside the Visitor center of the Reserve and established exchange agreements with local producers, B&B and farmhouse owners;
- Prepared articles for tourism magazines and websites;
- Sent booklets and leaflets to travel agencies;
- Created a Facebook profile;
- Sent news to a regional LIPU members mailing list;
- Organized monthly nature events in the Reserve.
Other institutions or parties involved
- Municipalities of Casacalenda and Provvidenti;
- local cooperatives (Coop. Koinè, Coop. F.Nardaccione, Coop. Il Mosaico);
- farmhouses (La Quercia, Fontemazzocca);
- Bed&Breakfast (Arcobaleno);
- local schools (Istituto comprensivo);
- shops (Biosapori, La Fonte Nuova);
- the artistical association (KalenArte) and the community center (Pro Loco Casacalenda).
In 23 years of presence, the cooperation with local private entities who deal with accommodation and eno-gastronomic sectors with a focus on local and organic food have strongly increased, and we work closely together. A University survey (2006) estimated that the village receives profits for the value of 24.000 € per year by various tourism activities related to the existence of the Reserve.
In order to keep constant interest , we organize monthly Nature Events and special opening days inside the LIPU’s Nature Reserve.
Low interest of tourists for some points of attraction in the village (eg Contemporary Art Gallery) and Sundays closure of commercial activities of interest
The importance of establishing and maintianing contacts with the local public and private entities and always showing interest in the novelties and in the proposals from the producers of typical and local products. Cooperation is the best way to work for the development of a site.
Oasi LIPU Casacalenda
Related case studies
Flow of tourists from the Western area to the Eastern area of Sierras de Tejeda, Almijara and Alhama Natural Park
It has been detected that tourists accumulate in the area of Malaga and they don't reach the area of Granada. It has been facilitated to the tourists the communication between…
Integrating nature tourism with coastal dune conservation in Lithuanian Coastal Region
Curonian Spit can function as catalysts for a sustainable development where local businesses and local communities can gain opportunity from the diversification. In the presented good practice, local stakeholders aim…
Projekt “Katzensprung”: Klimaschutz im Tourismus stärken (Climate friendly tourism)
Das Projekt „Katzensprung – Kleine Wege. Große Erlebnisse.“ hat als Verbund-Partnerprojekt zum Ziel, vor allem junge Menschen (14-29 Jahre) und Akteure der Reisebranche anzusprechen und von einem CO2-sparenden Verhalten zu…