Healthy Parks Healthy People Commission
We can all agree that physical activity and contact with nature is essential for human health, and that ‘Green exercise’ can make a significant and sustained contribution to good physical and mental health and well-being. However, as this is a relatively new field of work there has been a clear need to build the evidence base to demonstrate the public health benefits that Protected Areas provide.
EUROPARC had been a leader in this field and seeks to develop this work further into practical advice for parks managers. EUROPARC’s previous Health and Protected Areas Working Group took the first steps in building this evidence base. The group compiled a suite of case studies from the EUROPARC network to demonstrate the important work that Protected Areas are doing in the field of health. They show the work that Protected Areas and agencies in France, Latvia, Spain and the UK are undertaking in different health policy areas. Furthermore, they demonstrate the significant contribution that parks make to human health and well-being through the development of policy or the delivery of projects and programmes. With the creation of this new commission, EUROPARC will take this work further.
To develop the agenda of Health and Protected Areas on behalf of EUROPARC Federation.
Chair: Peter Rawcliffe, Scottish Natural Heritage (UK)
Bridget Finton, Scottish Natural Heritage (UK)
Liisa Kajala , Metsähallitus Parks & Wildlife Finland (FI)
Carles Castell, Diputació de Barcelona (ES)
Nele Sober, Estonian Environmental Board (EE)
Liesbeth Van Gysegem, Regional Landscapes Limburg (BE)
Carol Ritchie, EUROPARC Federation
- Launch of the HPHPe Toolkit: Health and Well-being benefits from Parks and Protected Areas, during a webinar 2021
- Launch of the Healthy Parks Healthy People Europe Programme, during a webinar 2020
- Webinar: Healthy Parks, Healthy People 2019
- Jurmala Communiqué launched at EUROPARC Conference 2019 in Latvia
- Series of 3 workshops at EUROPARC Conference 2019
- Webinar Parks & Protected Areas as ‘Natural Health Centres’ in 2018
- Workshop “Developing the European Approach to Healthy Parks, Healthy People – From principles to practice in delivering healthier outcomes for people and nature” at EUROPARC Conference 2018 download presentations
- Toolkit Health and Well-being benefits from Parks and Protected Areas
- Webinar Natural Benefits: Nature, Health & Protected Areas in 2017
- Workshop “Natural Health: Protected Areas and the Health and Well-being Agenda” at EUROPARC Conference 2017 download outcomes & presentations
- Workshop “We are Healthy Parks” at EUROPARC Conference 2016 download outcomes & presentations