The Sustainable Agriculture in Protected Areas Commission
Parks and Protected Areas are places of excellence where to experiment modern and traditional forms of agro-environmental policies, with particular regard to environmental sustainability, preservation of biodiversity and landscape, and promotion of local farmers and typical products. That ensures the continuity and sustainability of the agricultural practices, representing an essential element to keep alive the social, economic, historical, and cultural community of the Protected Areas.
A healthy environment is essential for healthy food production. Sustainable agriculture is essential for a healthy environment that protects biodiversity. Farmers and Protected Areas managers can and must be allies. The ambition to implement the Green Deal, specifically the “Farm to fork” strategy, and the new Common Agricultural Policy, are challenges and opportunities for parks and protected areas.
EUROPARC considers there is a need to improve the development of a sustainable agriculture in and around European Protected Areas in harmony between economic, environmental, and social factors. This objective can be achieved only building a trustful relationship with the farmers acting inside or nearby the Protected Areas. Unfortunately, both among the public and the decision-makers, the conflicts between Protected Areas and agriculture are more known than the huge numbers of positive relations, collaborations and common initiatives already existing and promoted together by PAs and local farmers.
The Sustainable Agriculture in Protected Areas Commission is specifically oriented to develop a new EUROPARC methodology that enables Protected Areas to improve partnership with farmers, in order to develop sustainable agriculture in the protected territories. Moreover, the Commission supports EUROPARC Directorate in the dialogue on sustainable farming with EU decision makers and other European stakeholders.
To undertake a feasibility study exploring the option of a new EUROPARC “Charter for Sustainable Agriculture in Protected Areas” and to make recommendations to EUROPARC Council on future developments.
To promote a project to test and implement the new EUROPARC “Charter for Sustainable Agriculture in Protected Areas” in pilot protected areas.
To support EUROPARC in policy and advocacy on EU Common Agricultural Policy – CAP, and on the EU Farm to Fork Strategy.
- Chair: Joao Melo, Cascais Ambiente (PT)
- Kaja Lotman, Estonia Environmental Board (EE)
- Kees Folkertsma, Drentsche Aa National Park (NL)
- Tom Byrne, Wicklow Uplands Council (IE)
- Corrado Teofili, Federparchi – EUROPARC Italy (IT)
- Guido Calvi, Parco dell’ Adamello (IT)
- Maria Pia Sparla, Parco Agricolo Sud Milano (IT)
- France Drugmant and Florence Moesch, Federation of French Regional Parks (FR)
Support: Lois Mansfield, Centre for National Parks & Protected Areas, Ambleside Campus, University of Cumbria.
Support: Stefano Santo, Parco dell’Ossola
- EUROPARC Position Paper – the Role of Protected Areas as Laboratories for Sustainable Agriculture
- EUROPARC Recommendations 2021 The Role of Protected Areas and Natura 2000 sites, in the National Strategic Plans of the European Common Agricultural Policy
- Collection of Case Studies
- At least 1 webinar per year about different aspects of sustainable farming in Protected Areas
- Workshop Changing climate, changing agriculture EUROPARC Conference 2022 France
- Mind-Factory Sustainable Agriculture. Communicating with farmers and the public to protect the landscape EUROPARC Conference 2022 Austria
- Workshop Sustainable agriculture EUROPARC Conference 2021
- Workshop “Agriculture in parks: how can we communicate to farmers, with farmers, for farmers?” EUROPARC Conference 2020
- Workshop “AGRICULTURE-NATURE BASED SOLUTIONS: INNOVATION AND TRADITIONAL KNOWLEDGE TO SUPPORT BIODIVERSITY AND FARMERS INCOME IN PROTECTED AREAS” EUROPARC Conference 2019
- Workshop “FARMERS AND PROTECTED AREAS: HOW PROTECTED AREAS CAN PRESERVE VIBRANT RURAL TERRITORIES AND LIVING LANDSCAPE IN PARTNERSHIP, IN PARTICULAR WITH YOUNG FARMERS EUROPARC” Conference 2018
- Workshop “Be a farmers friend. Sustainable Agriculture in Protected Areas” at EUROPARC Conference 2017
- Workshop “We are sustainable Farmers” at EUROPARC Conference 2016