The TransParNet is the network of all certified EUROPARC Transboundary Parks. They meet up, in the so-called TransParcNet, which is host by one of the members of the network. Here you will find all information about it!
TransParcNet: what is it all about?
In 2007 EUROPARC organised a workshop gathering 20 EUROPARC members from 11 countries, focused on the EUROPARC “Transboundary Parks – Following Nature’s Design” verification and certification system. Participants discussed how EUROPARC transboundary work could be further enhanced and which benefits of the certification should be promoted.
During the seminar, it was agreed that an extension of the scope of the current EUROPARC transboundary work was needed. Participants thought that the Federation should not only assist member Protected Areas in reaching the Basic Standards but also facilitate them in building their capacities to cooperate, and share information, experience and best practice when certified. They believed that the process should be used much more as a toolkit to help build strong cooperation rather than simply focusing on the Certificate and that the Certificate should be one step towards good cooperation between transboundary Protected Areas.
After the workshop the certified parks agreed to work together in the network: TransParcNet.
The network should:
- provide other Protected Areas striving to complete the Basic Standards with assistance;
- facilitate capacity building between European TBPA’ in areas such as communication, the exchange of experience and best practice;
- coordinate thematic working groups which should enable the exchange of experience;
- organise staff exchanges and study visits;
- put on conferences, seminars and workshops;
- publish information on transboundary issues and projects;
- prepare directories and databases of transboundary Protected Areas and other relevant partners;
- promote the interests of TBPAs on a national and international level;
- raise funds for and coordinate joint projects between TBPA’s.
The two key messages emerging from the workshop were:
1) The necessity to develop the transboundary certification system into a more comprehensive capacity-building work programme. This would assist Protected Areas working towards certification and support the existing network of certified parks and facilitate them with the cooperation and the exchange of information, experience and best practice within the network and beyond.
2) The wish for an increased promotion of the theme transboundary Protected Areas including raising awareness on common responsibilities for border regions; the need for transboundary cooperation between Protected Areas and its benefits; and the promoting of ‘best practice’ examples in transboundary cooperation.
TransParcNet Meeting 2021 – ONLINE
Due to the corona pandemic, the TransParcNet Meeting 2021 will be online like in 2020. We will look at the contribution of Transboundary Protected Areas to the EU Green Deal.
All info on the 2021 TransParcNet Meeting can be found on the dedicated page here.
To realise the goals of the EUROPARC transboundary work the TransParcNet meets once a year in a different transboundary Protected Area.
More information on upcoming and past TransParcNet meetings is available here:
Information on meetings dating back from 2012 is available on request. Please contact us to europarc @ europarc.org