Natura 2000 Communication Awards
Communicating effectively is one of the main challenges of Natura 2000 site managers.
At EUROPARC we do realize those difficulties, and therefore, for the past year, we have been working with PROPARK Foundation for Protected Areas, to empower NATURA 2000 managers. In the framework of the LIFE+ Information and Communication project – Efficient Managers for Efficient N2000 network, training seminars were realised and some tools were developed – a comprehensive manual and toolkit – which will soon be released.
Besides tools, we do believe that inspiration is needed, so we opened applications for a Natura 2000 Communications Award, aiming to collect and promote best practices amongst Natura 2000 sites.
17 inspiring case studies from across Europe were submitted, addressing different Natura 2000 challenges. Goals were as different as the tools to achieve them: from scientifical goals, such as habitat restoration or monitoring species, to multi-level stakeholders engagement (tourists, local communities or volunteers). Some used the latest technologies, others preferred a traditional face-to-face approach. You will definitely find a case that can suit your needs, or budget.
The juri was composed of highly recognized professionals on the fields of communication, environment and sustainability.
The award winner was Fundação Mata do Bussaco from Portugal, with their excellent project “Bussaco Digital – Reforesting Bussaco National Forest”, an excellent link between nature conservation (habitat restoration), community engagement and the use of new digital channels. The complete case study can be downloaded below. For more information visit the website: http://bussacodigital.sapo.pt/
HIGHLY COMMENDED CASE STUDIES
Such was the quality of the case studies, 5 case studies were awarded a Highly Commended Certificate, which can also be downloaded below.
- UK, Wales – Heather and Hillforts, Upland Landscape Partnership Scheme, Clwydian Range and Dee Valley
- PORTUGAL, Azores – Lands of Priolo, SPEA
- SPAIN, Murcia – Seahorses as flagship species for Mar Menor Coastal Lagoon Conservation, Associación Hippocampus
- UK, Peak District – Moors for the Future – Partnership’s Community Science Project, Peak District National Park
- The Netherlands, Drenthe – “Together we achieve more” Communicating Drenthe-Frisian Border Region, Province of Drenthe
Get inspired by the latest examples from all over Europe!
- pdfAWARD WINNER_Mata do Bussaco_Bussaco Digital, PT
- pdfHC_Peak Disctrict National Park_Moors for the Future, UK
- pdfHC_Mar Menor, Murcia_Seahorses as flagship Species, SP
- pdfHC_Drenthe-Frisian Border Region_Together we Achieve More, NL
- pdfHC_Clwydian Range and Dee Valley_Heather and Hillforts_UK
- pdfHC_Azores_Lands of Priolo, PT
- pdfBarbara Pais - N2000 Communications Awards - EUROPARC Conference 2015