Model of collaboration with local entrepreneurs of public use
Regional Government of Environment and Spatial Planning of Andalusia
Region & country
Andalusia - Spain
The project aims to establish relationships with local entrepreneurs for the management of visitor centers ensuring the public services associated with them. At once, entrepreneurs can develop an economic activity covering the following activities:
- Reception and information to visitors;
- Maintenance of the basic resources and boosting of the center.
Besides, the local entrepreneurial will manage the restaurant, shop and tourism services associated with the natural space.
As a counterpart, the government guarantees:
- On-line Reservation center and satisfaction questionnaires;
- Presence and profiles in social networks, newsletters, Google adwords;
- Training to local workers;
- Merchandising products;
- Adaptation of activities for people with disabilities
Visitor Centre in Andalusia
by Regional Government of Andalucia
Environmental Education Programmes
by Regional Government of Andalucia
Background of the project
In the late 1990s, the Ministry of Environment defined a strategy for public use in protected natural areas. One of its objectives was the promotion of the participation of the local population through the undertaking of actions that generate benefits.
- Make activities in protected areas economically attractive and sustainable;
- Guarantee quality and homogeneity of the services provided;
- Fix the population in the natural spaces.
Solution and actions taken
Granting companies the use of public infrastructure associated with the natural space for their own benefit, forcing them to continue offering the original use for which the infrastructure is created through a public bidding process.
Provide the natural areas with an infrastructure for:
- Provide information to citizens;
- Carry out training and dissemination activities and provide other ancillary services;
- Cafeteria, shop of local products and activities of nature-based tourism;
- Model contract specifying the quality and quantity of services to be provided, awarded by public tender to the technical and economically most advantageous offer
- Monitoring through indicators of the correct performance of the aspects included in the tenders
Other institutions or parties involved
Local companies and other departments of administration not directly linked to the environment such as education and health.
Associations and other social local entities.
It guarantees a quality public service, with an economically attractive model for local companies, designed according to the policies defined by the regional government
- Find local businesses that find this business model attractive.
- Competition with other administrations (councils, town halls) including hiking associations, etc. that carry out activities in the natural environment for free
A public-private partnership is possible for the purpose of developing an economic activity that is sustainable in natural spaces.
Related case studies
Conflict resolution between protected area managers and a local community
The Pajūris regional park is one of 30 regional parks, established in 1992 as a result of creating a comprehensive system of state parks and other protected areas in a…
Integrating nature tourism with coastal dune conservation in Lithuanian Coastal Region
Curonian Spit can function as catalysts for a sustainable development where local businesses and local communities can gain opportunity from the diversification. In the presented good practice, local stakeholders aim…